Tuesday, June 19, 2007

do i seem to be desperate?

the other day, i got a phone call from a stranger who claimed to know me.
he explained that we met each other in NJ about 2 years ago which i didn't recall at all.

and trust me. if i meet someone, i remember that person pretty much for the rest of my life.
i have a pretty good memory about people whether where and when we met for the first time, what colors of clothes they wore on that day, etc. but i couldn't remember him at all.

but according to what he said, there was a regional korean church members' conference that was held in the korean branch i attended which i remember, and we met there which i don't recall.

anyway, he introduced himself again and said he graduated from BYUH about 30 years ago, and that's how we ended up talking which i don't recall. and he asked me whether one of my friends and i could come to DC this weekend to go on blind dates with his son and his friend's son. and he kept saying how important it is to get married before we become too old to get married(?).

i mean is he crazy? i understand how korean parents and older korean church members are more inclined to mind others' businesses especially on the "marriage" issue, and he was probably worrying about us and his kid being single. but the way he put it was almost to the point i felt offended. i told him that i can't go since i am a "busy" person with lots of work even on the weekend, but i will talk to my friend and get back to him even though i don't even have any intention to do so. but he was like "too bad. then i guess i will ask other girls in other area." the way he took the matter with his insensitive words was just horrible. did i ask him to mind my single life? did i ask him to hook me up with some rich kid whom he claims to hook me up with? did i tell him that i am desperate to get married? i mean "what's your problem?"

although i just laughed at the whole thing after i hung up the phone, i felt as if someone who doesn't even know me for who i really am was judging me that i am in some kind of trouble just because i am single. why do people have to do that? why are they so insensitive? why do they think what they think is the best for others' life?

it was just a crazy phone call which i don't want to remember for the rest of my life.

No comments: